The Right Name

Have you ever noticed that pretty much any name that you here seems to “fit” as their description? There’s rarely ever a case where you hear a name that just doesn’t sound right, or a name that you think to yourself, “they look more like a ____.” One reason I believe that is true though, is because once you’re used to saying a person’s name, it’s hard to change the habit.

In a book, you must have the right name to match with their personality. It usually doesn’t just come to you, but you must think carefully of a name that will fit the role of the character. For instance, a nerdy person would have a different name than a trouble maker. You can’t just suggest the name Ned, and say it could be used for either of those characterizations.

It took me a while to come up with the name “Darren” for my story “The Arrival” and although it”s not the best name, I think it fits pretty well. Speaking if which, I need some new names for people in “The Arrival” that have about the same personality, but with some different physical characteristics of Darren. I would love to here any ideas that anybody reading this post may have! Just comment on this post on what you think some of the character names should be. 🙂

3 thoughts on “The Right Name

1. Some names I thought if were Jessie, Fry (nickname could be Sci-Fry), Dexter, and Hillary. I hope you choose these names and then take them to fame with your book