The Chosen One

I’m really happy about the free-post topic because now I can post something completely about Star Wars! In this post I’m going to try to explain my interpretation of a really important part of Star Wars without confusing any of the not-100%-star-wars-fan people reading this (probably everyone who reads this besides me 😕). As my Star Wars news for this post, I present the prophecy of the chosen one!

The Prophecy existed throughout all of the Star Wars movies, but was only mentioned during the time between episodes 1-3. The first thing I want to clarify is the fact that Anakin Skywalker, not his son Luke, is the Chosen One. The prophecy says the the chosen one will have a higher midi-chlorian count than ever recorded (midi-chlorians are in the blood of those who can tap into the force). He/she will also bring balance to the force. The prophecy did not specify whether the chosen one would be Jedi or Sith. Anakin fulfilled all of the prophecy because he had the highest midi-chlorian count (mentioned in episode 1) and he also brought balance to the force by killing Darth Sidious.

The midi-chlorian count thing is obvious, but the other part of it gets a bit more complicated. For explaining this, I’m going to assign “levels” to the explenation. This all starts way back when there was the war between the Army of Light, led by Jedi Master Hoth, and the Brotherhood of the Sith, led by Lord Kaan. One of the Sith there was Lord Bane. He fulfilled the prophecy of the Sith’ari (another prophecy) and started the Sith’s rise to power. During the War between the Jedi and Sith, both groups were at about a level 10, in knowledge and power. Darth Bane tricked the Sith into killing some of the most powerful Jedi, along with the entire Brotherhood of Sith. The Jedi were weakened to about a level 5, while the Sith had only Darth Bane, at about a level 3.

Now that the Jedi believed the Sith were gone, they began to rebuild, while Darth Bane could strike from secret. Without having to defend against each other, Darth Bane was able to gain power, while the Jedi gained some power, while being weakened from Darth Bane’s indirect attacks. Eventually, the Jedi made it to level 6, while in the same time, Darth Bane was at level 5.

Then Darth Bane created the rule of two. Before, a level 3 Sith Lord would have several apprentices, some level 2, and several level ones. Individually, the master could defeat anyone of his apprentices, but the apprentices would team up against their master, overthrowing him. Then the level 2 apprentices would get rid of the level 1’s, and then the level 2’s would battle until there was one left standing. This left the Sith at a level 2, when before they were at a level 3. The level 2 Sith Lords would not be able to grow into a level 3, due to their noticeability by the Jedi. This process would continue with several different Sith Lords. This weakened the Sith severely.

With the rule of 2, the master would start at a level 5, and train a single apprentice to become a level 5, then as the master grew older, the younger apprentice could confront the master. If the apprentice was too weak, the master would triumph, and take another apprentice, and if the apprentice were stronger, he/she would defeat their master and become the new master. The level 5 apprentice would be able to grow stronger into a level 6, while keeping the Jedi at the same level they were at. After generations of the rule of 2, the Sith made it to about a level 20 , while the Jedi were only 7 or 8.

This process shifted the balance of the Force, but it was still in balance. Then Darth Plagueis came along. He and his apprentice, Darth Sidious, succeeded in shifting the balance of the Force. The balance now shifted to the dark side, the Jedi were apple to sense the “dark presence,” and Darth Plagueis could now manipulate midi-chlorians to preserve life.

With the Force now off balance, the chosen one was destined to fix it. By defeating the emperor, Anakin Skywalker (as Darth Vader at the time) brought balance back to the Force. With the 20 levels of power now gone, along with all but one of the Jedi, the balance had been restored.

One thought on “The Chosen One

1. I would like to say that I followed everything you just explained, but alas, I cannot…however, I can say that it is perfectly clear that your knowledge of Star Wars cannon is quite impressive! Wow.